This healthy vegan take on a traditional weekend favourite is delicious, nutritious and oh so satisfying! You will also find that these banana blueberry protein pancakes are super simple to make. And the peanut buttery syrup is like the icing on the cake (or, actually, the peanut butter syrup on the pancakes).
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yields approximately 4 servings
- 1 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup unflavoured protein or nutrient powder (I used Natural flavour Vega One)
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- non-dairy butter or oil for frying (I used Earth Balance, but I think coconut oil would also be great)
Peanut Butter Syrup:
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup peanut butter (or other nut butter)
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat your oven to 250 degrees.
- Whisk the flour, protein powder, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together in a bowl.
- Mash the bananas with a fork, and then mix with the non-dairy milk and vanilla extract.
- Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix in the blueberries. Depending on the colour of your protein powder, the batter may be a little strangely coloured. Mine was mostly green (from the Vega) with a bit of a purple tinge (from the blueberries). Embrace it.
- Heat a large pan on medium. Add a small scoop of non-dairy butter or oil to grease the pan.
- Pour a small amount of batter (approximately 1/4 cup) into pan. Spread the batter into a circle with a spoon. Depending on the size of your pan, you should be able to cook between 2 and 4 pancakes at a time.
- Cook for 2-4 minutes, flipping when bubbles begin to appear on the top surface. After flipping, press down on the top of the pancake with your spatula to flatten a little, and then cook for another 2-4 minutes, until browned on the underside.
- Transfer the finished pancakes to a baking tray and keep warm in the oven while you cook the remaining pancakes.
- To make the peanut butter syrup, simply mix the three ingredients together well. If you have small high-speed blender (like a Magic Bullet or Nutribullet), mix the ingredients in that for the smoothest consistency. But simply stirring firmly with a fork will also work.
- Serve and enjoy!