This simple side dish is a great addition to your Fall or Winter holiday menu. The carrots add vibrant colour to your plate and the seasonal flavour of the rosemary is beautifully complemented and softened by the garlic, lemon and toasted pine nuts.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
Yields approximately 8 servings.
- 8 - 10 medium carrots
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (I use avocado oil, but canola or any other oil with a high smoke point will work)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sprig rosemary, removed from the stem, plus another 1 or 2 sprigs (with stem) for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400°.
- Peel the carrots and cut them diagonally into pieces approximately one-inch in length. In a bowl toss the carrots (making sure they're evenly covered) with the lemon juice, oil, garlic, rosemary and salt and pepper.
- Wrap the mixture in tin foil, folding in the sides to make a dish shape and making sure to close completely so that the steam stays inside while cooking. Place the tin foil package into the oven on a baking tray (the tray prevents drippings from falling onto your oven floor).
- Cook for approximately one hour or until tender.
- In the meantime, lightly toast the pine nuts. You can do this on a baking dish in your oven or toaster oven or in a pan on the stove for a few minutes on medium heat. Be sure to watch them very closely, as they can go from “perfect” to “burnt” in mere moments!
- Put the cooked carrots in a serving dish, top with the roasted pine nuts, and garnish with additional rosemary.
- Serve and enjoy with your favourite holiday meal. Try them with the Plant Hearted Vegan Holiday Phyllo Roll!