The humble brussels sprout has made a comeback in recent years and for good reason. When roasted and well seasoned, this once maligned vegetable becomes a most desirable treat! These buttery maple roasted sprouts are an excellent addition to a holiday meal, or can be enjoyed on their own as a sweet and salty snack.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Yields approximately 8 servings.
- 60 small/medium brussels sprouts (approximately 5 cups), stems and any ragged outer layers removed
- 1/4 cup vegan butter (I use Earth Balance)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 425°.
- To prepare the brussels sprouts, remove the stems and any ragged outer leaves. Cut in half, leaving any very small sprouts whole so they are about the same size as the cut sprouts.
- Add the vegan butter and maple syrup to a small saucepan and heat until the butter is melted.
- Pour this mixture over the brussels sprouts and mix in a baking dish with the salt and pepper. Place in preheated oven and cook for approximately 40 minutes or until browned and tender.
- Enjoy as a snack or side dish. These complement wonderfully the Plant Hearted Vegan Holiday Phyllo Roll and Lemon Rosemary Roasted Carrots!